As you can see, the first one on the right is curled up at the cast on edge when not pinned down. My second swatch (on the left) is not!
I used a cast on method with one-by-one cable pattern described here. The rest of the instruction is written as if to knit in round while the swatch was knit flat.
- Knit the first round in solid dark color in the rib pattern.
- Knit the next Fair Isle round in the rib pattern using Elizabeth’s purl-when-you-can method (the stitches in lighter color in stockinet).
- Knit the next two Fair Isle rounds in the rib pattern.
- On the next round, knit stitches in lighter color in stockinet and those in darker color in the rib pattern.
- On the next round onward, knit all the stitches in stockinet.
I am ready to cast on for real!