Sunday, July 06, 2014

Baileys Irish Cream Cardigan

Before I got busy with glove knitting, I finished Baileys Irish Cream cardigan.  The lace pattern on it is very pretty, and every detail appealed to me.  Naturally, I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. 

Mine was knitted with a sport weight yarn with 20% cashmere, slightly thinner than the pattern calls for.  Hence, I followed instructions for a larger size. 






Skirt: Christine Jonson’s Pencil skirt
Tank Top: New Look 6068 View B

Thursday, July 03, 2014

Ms. Marie Wallin

Sometimes I do not pay much attention to the designers of my knitting projects, especially when they are from magazines.  Last winter, though, I noticed that I was knitting two of the designs by Marie Wallin.   Over all, I've knitted five of her designs: namely BronwenGelsey, Harris, Curio, Orkney and Harmonie.  Not only that, four of my to-do projects are by Ms. Wallin.  If you are on Ravelry, you will see which one I am talking about: Kintyre pullover, Rannoch dress, Glade pullover, and Dietrich cardigan.  Obviously, I love Ms. Wallin's work.  I wish her well in her health and her creative career.

Friday, June 13, 2014

Gold Jacket for Prom



For her prom, my daughter chose a pair of wide-legged and loose pants in sheer material which comes with built-in shorts, a tank top, and a heavy gold chain necklace.  The necklace has been in the dress-up costume drawer since my daughters were in kindergarten.  I thought she may need a cover-up of sort in case the weather turn cooler.  So, we went to our local Jo Ann to look for fabrics.  She chose a gold laminated cotton blend, the loudest gold fabric we could find at the store.  Her choice of pattern was Butterick 6029.  


We made several changes: Increased the collar height by 1 cm, Used the top layer of the jacket only, and re-shaped the front decorative piece.  The fabric was difficult to deal with since stitches could not be removed without damaging the fabric and the ironing had to be done very carefully.  Still, we are both happy with the result.  To be honest, I was not so sure about her pattern selection initially.  Being Mom, I decided to go along with the daughter's wish and intuition.  I am glad it all worked out nicely.  She's got an eye for style and fabric.  

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Herringbone Gloves

Done!



Compared with Sanquhar gloves, they fit better due to its smaller hand circumference and better shaped thumb gusset.  Still, I love the geometric pattern of the Sanquhar gloves.



My next pair of gloves will be a variation of the herringbone gloves: same construction in hound's tooth pattern.  There are several versions on Ravelry knitted in hound's tooth pattern.  I already have yarns for the pair.

Sunday, June 01, 2014

Herringbone Gloves Update

One more finger to complete for the right glove.


Monday, May 26, 2014

New Project and New Bag

I was not planning to start another pair of gloves so soon, but I got excited about the pattern and I cast on almost immediately.


See my new project bag?  It is made by Alexis, a fellow Knitsmith.  It is just perfect for my new addiction which is Glove Knitting.



I am using the leftover Legacy Lace from Duke Design Sanquar gloves.  Since I have less in Pinot Noir, I reversed the color scheme.  The original pattern is written for fingering weight while mine is a lace weight.  I am revising the pattern to accommodate the gauge difference as I go along.  So far, I've used 0000 and 000 needles.  


Saturday, May 24, 2014

Finished Gloves

My first gloves are completed.



As I inspect each glove, it is clear the first one, the left glove, suffered multiple unknitting and knitting as well as unevenness of tension.  In comparison, the right glove went much smoother.

The right glove on my hand.




I am encouraged with the experience and planning to knit more gloves.  The next one in my list is Herringbone Gloves.