Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Big Slouchy Hat



I always had problems with hats. They look funny on my head while my DDs could look perfectly fine with the same hats. I don't recall ever having one that made me smile. Like my aunt said when I was 10 or 11 year old. She thought I was wearing my hat 'wrong' and kindly tried to fix it. She fiddled this way and that for a while, but in the end she gave up and mumbled something like my head is not a hat head. So, I knew this fact for almost all my life.

Then, one day I met one that did not look funny. It was a knitted hat, bulky single ply yarn in acrylic 100%. It was on sale for about $12. I said to myself, I'd better buy this one and knock it off!

So far, I made four, two of which went to my DD2. I am still working out the secret of this hat. Why it looks fine but not the others?

4 comments:

  1. These hats are wonderful looking! Nice and big and slouchy--like that. It's good to see you back on the blog. As for Mrs. Stylebook, haven't even opened it back up since I got it. And there are some cool stuff in it, too. Maybe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome blog, i´m your follower!!!!!
    wish you a good start in 2010
    http://aygenart.blogspot.com/
    greetings from germany
    Ay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice hats! I understand what you mean about "not a hat head". I though I had one also, but have come to realize, I need a bit of bulk in a hat -a brim, a band of fluff around the edge, or a relaxed fit bulky stocking hat/beret. The traditional stocking hats, or brimless hats just doesn't work on me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all!

    Gail, sounds like you have the same problem with hats. I managed to put together a knitting pattern for these hats. Let me know if you are interested in it. If you are on Ravelry, you can find it under MayMay. It is free of charge, of course.

    May

    ReplyDelete