Sunday, June 16, 2013

Lovely Orkney Cardigan, Part 2

Now a shocking discovery to report. I made a major error in knitting the bodice of Orkney: I forgot to make button holes. I was drawn to Orkney for its clean front edge without button bands, yet I forgot to knit button holes! I realized this error when I was decreasing stitches at shoulders. Too late, I said. I need to figure out how I could force button holes.

I recalled reading about button holes can be made after completing by manipulating yarns around a stitch. That’s what I decided to do. I was worried that ‘manipulation’ and ‘coaxing’ of yarn might cause too much wear and tear. In order to provide some support, I decided to use petershams for facings instead of knitted ones.

Here is what I did. I used 1” wide petersham tape for the left front, and two stripes of ½” wide tapes, sewn together except for button holes, for the right front. After the petershams were applied, I gently forced button holes on the knitted bodice. Ah, when I was applying the petershams, I realized that my steeks was too wide since the button hole had to be made through steeks as well. This was to be avoided. So, I had to re-work crochet anchoring and cut off excess.

The photo below shows the left front facing sewn on, and the right facing being assembled.


The right facing sewn on the right edge with button inserted in the button holes. 


 
And, here is it.  Finally done!  All the buttons are sewn and corresponding holes are made.
 

 

One more note on the project. The color Mineral was used in sleeves only. I have a lot of it leftover. The yarn amount was all sufficient even though I added steeks. The least amount left was in Billberry.


It is too warm to wear Orkney now.  Must wait for some cooler days to come back. 




2 comments:

  1. This is stunning! I love how you added the buttons/buttonholes to the front by using the petersham, inspired finishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carolyn. Despite the major errors, I enjoyed this project which included some hand-sewing, although it was not really intended.

      May

      Delete